Monday, November 14, 2011

REED CRANDALL ROCKS FAMOUS MONSTERS

IT CAME FROM FAMOUS MONSTERS 49
IT'S REED CRANDALL'S FRANKENSTEIN!

I'd forgotten this strip from Famous Monsters 49, which is a shame as it features some terrific art by one the all time great comic book artists, Reed Crandall. Best known for his work on Blackhawk in the 1940s (he even gets a screen credit on the Blackhawk movie serial) Crandall did wonderful work throughout a long career. If you want to learn how to ink for black and white reproduction, this strip is like a Doctoral Thesis in how to balance your blacks and whites.

Presented here for historical purpose only, this story is copyright 1968 by Warren Publications.










4 comments:

  1. I've always loved Tom's stuff. I wish that there was a collection of his work. If so, who? Very unique style. First got to see his work at Marvel (Tower of Shadows!), then Charlton, from buying at flea markets in the late '70's. Open the page and WOW! Then he disappeared. Is he still around? Is he doing anything?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sutton passed away in 2002. His work was always a lot of fun.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I believe this story--from a later reprint in one of the other warren mags--was the first time I really noticed Crandall's work. I'm sure I had seen his T.H.U.N.D.E.R. stuff and maybe some Blackhawk issues from the old coverless Blackhawk collection at my barber's shop, but I remember staring at this for hours and tracing the faces and thinking this guy was too good for the room.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love, love, love Reed Crandall's art work. I'd love to see someone do a hardbound collection.

    ReplyDelete