Tuesday, November 15, 2011

FAMOUS MONSTERS VS TOM SUTTON!

A TOP-NOTCH STRIP BY A NEGLECTED CREATOR RETURNS!

Artist Tom Sutton's best known piece for Warren Publishing is undoubtedly Vampirella's origin in the first issue of her titular magazine. I think this might be his least known, not from Vampirella, Creepy or Eerie, but from the pages of Famous Monsters #48. I really like his homages to films, comics and other artists peppered throughout this nice little story. If you look at the masthead on the title page of the issue, it reads: Famous Monsters of Filmland Incorporating Monster World. Maybe this was originally done for that magazine?

This story was copyright 1968 by Warren Publishing and is presented here for historical purpose only.











2 comments:

  1. I started getting FM in 1970 but my friend had this issue and traded it to me (probably for THOR comics. We were always trading THOR comics). I had to have this Wally Wood comic!!! Wh he drew it under that fake name, "Tom Sutton" I'll never know but I knew i recognized that style! Ah, youth. So for ages, this was the earliest issue oF FM I had.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, I loved the Wood/Davis feeling of his early stuff a lot, too.

    ReplyDelete