Sunday, October 2, 2011


A YANKEE DOODLEY-DOO UPDATE FOR YOU:
NOT UNLIKE THE TRANSFORMERS, THERE’S MORE TO THAT MIGHTY YANKEE GIRL THAN MEETS THE EYE!
(Yankee Girl pin up by Will Meugniot for FemForce Rarities)
(California) I don’t know how many times I’ve advised the twenty-somethings with whom I work to not trust in purely internet-based reference, and yet I find myself with lazy hand caught in that self-same electronic cookie jar of misinformation.

 In my previous Yankee Girl article I blindly followed the Wikipedia wisdom that she had only enjoyed one published story during the declining days of the Golden Age of comics, and all too eagerly spread that bit of misinformation. Fortunately, my Facebook friends took me to task and set me straight: There were two Yankee Girl stories published by Chesler in the 40s, and both have been reprinted by my old friend and sometimes publisher, Bill Black.

(Joanie AC, cute mascot character and parody of Johnny DC)

Bill filled me in, and I now share his insights with you:
“YG had 2 stories in the Golden-Age- 1946/47 (Chesler). In the AC Universe we (me) set her back a few years in WWII with the Merlin origin.

(Yankee Girl Issue #1 from AC Comics)
And AC Comics has printed both the Golden-Age stories, which were illustrated by Ralph Mayo (CAMILLA, JOHNNY QUICK, LASSIE, JUDY OF THE JUNGLE, etc).

The other YG G-A story was featured most recently in MEN OF MYSTERY NO. 85, a whopping huge 240 page compilation of GA heroine stories. But that book is sold out so you'll have to wait for the YANKEE GIRL book. The story that features the panel used as basis for the YANKEE GIRL statue is in FEMFORCE RARITIES, just released.”

(Men of Mystery #85. Hey, wait! That's a girl on the cover!)
So, there you have it from the actual source of all things Yankee Girl in the current comics’ universe!
(How could we not share Bill Black and Mark Heike's lovely rendition?)
ALL of the Yankee Girl art in this post is Copyright AC Comics. Did we mention the CG Yankee Girl cartoon? Go to www.cultretro.com for details.

No comments:

Post a Comment